22 de agosto de 2011

Tense revision

INTERMEDIATE TENSES 1
On Monday, just as I (TRY) _________________________ to wind down after a long working day, the telephone (RING) _________________________: “Is that you, Helen?” someone asked on the phone. “Yes, this (BE) _________________ me,” I replied. “Sandra speaking, my friend. I need to talk to you right now,” she said in a desperate voice. She was a quiet girl who always tried not to call you when you (just/ ARRIVE) _________________________ from work. She never wanted to disturb her friends, so I knew something serious (GO) _________________________ on. “I (not/ HEAR) _________________________ from you in a week. What (you/ DO) _________________________ lately?” I asked Sandra. “To tell you the truth,” she said “I (HAVE) _________________________ a lot of problems with my boyfriend recently,” she continued. “(you/WANT) __________________ to talk about it?” I asked. I (not/ FINISH) __________________ saying the phrase that she started crying. “You (not/ BELIEVE) _______________________ what happened to me last week,” she said. “It was Saturday morning and my boyfriend (TELL) _________________________ me he (PICK) _________________________ me up at 8 pm to go out for dinner at a fancy restaurant downtown. Eight o’clock arrived. I was at home, ready to (PICK) _________________________ up. It was nine o’clock and my boyfriend (not/ APPEAR) _________________________ or (CALL) _________________________. I (BEGIN) _________________________ to get worried when my telephone (RING) ______________________: “Your boyfriend is cheating on you! You can catch him red-handed at this very moment. Go to Rodham road and Sixth and you’ll see...” I could not believe what I (just/ HEAR) _________________________ buy anyway, I went to the place the female voice (INDICATE) _________________________ and there he was: he (KISS) _________________________ a girl as he (never/ KISS) _________________________ me before. When he saw me he said that he (BE) _________________________ sorry and promised he (never/ DO) _________________________ it again. I don’t know what to do. I love him but he (really/ HURT) _________________________ my feelings. Tell me, Helen, what (you/DO) _________________________ if you were me?” Sandra asked me. “Look, if I (BE) _________________________ you, I (FORGIVE) _________________________ him temporarily until I (GET) _________________________ a new, better candidate,” I replied. “I don’t know,” she said. “I think everything will depend on his next move. If he (CALL) _________________________ me and apologizes for what he (DO) _________________________, I guess I (GIVE) _________________________ him a second chance. I love him and I want to be happy with him. What do you think, Helen?” she asked me. “I think you (not/ NEED) _________________________ my opinion; you (already/ MAKE) _________________________ a decision. I just hope it (BE) _________________________ the right one,” I said.









ANSWER KEY:
1. was trying
2. rang
3. is
4. had just arrived
5. was going
6. have not heard
7. have you been doing
8. have had/ have been having
9. do you want
10. had not finished
11. will not believe
12. told
13. would pick
14. to be picked
15. had not appeared
16. called
17. had begun
18. rang
19. had just heard
20. had indicated
21. was kissing
22. had never kissed
23. was
24. would never do
25. has really hurt/ really hurt
26. would you do
27. were
28. would forgive
29. got
30. calls
31. has done/ did
32. would give
33. do not need
34. have already made
35. is/ will

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Nota: solo los miembros de este blog pueden publicar comentarios.